How To Grow Tomatoes
Growing your own tomatoes can be a wonderful adventure. It's fun to look through seed catalogues while snow is still on the ground, and to tour nurseries and greenhouses as you anticipate your first taste of some new variety.
In all honesty, tomatoes really aren't that fussy. They like hot weather. They thrive on adequate water and good soil. And they need to be handled properly when you're first setting them out into the garden.
So whether you are a beginning gardener about to grow your first crop, or a seasoned veteran with years of experience, the following articles will help with any of your questions on how to grow tomatoes.
Specific Articles on How To Grow Tomatoes:
- Growing Tomatoes From Seeds: Hurray! It's spring! And while there still might be snow on the ground or frost in the air, it's time to start planting your tomato seeds.
- Transplanting Tomato Seedlings into larger pots: your seedlings are getting larger, but it's still too cold to set them out into the garden. Transplant your little tomatoes into larger pots.
- Setting your plants outdoors into the Tomato Garden: This is probably the trickiest part of growing tomato plants. If you set them into the garden too soon, they could die. Leave them in the house too long, and they get lanky. Clear instructions help you find the right balance for growing a spectacular tomato garden.
- How To Stake and Prune Tomatoes: Is your tomato plant the kind that needs support? Where do you trim a tomato plant? You'll find great photos and instructions on this page.
- Watering Tomato Plants: how you water your tomato plants can affect not only the diseases to which they might be susceptible, but also when the tomatoes themselves will ripen.
- When Should I Pick All My Tomatoes? To pick or not to pick - that is always the question as fall approaches.
- What to do with all your green tomatoes: Your tomato crop has been most plentiful, but frost is threatening. Now you have so many green tomatoes on your hands. Here are some storage tips, as well as links to green tomato recipes.
- How to harvest tomato seeds: Did you know that in order to get a much higher rate of germination next year tomato seeds need to be fermented? Here are the instructions, as well as a great video on how to harvest tomato seeds.
Rare & Unique Tomato Seeds
Related articles on How To Grow Tomatoes
- Companion Planting Chart - Maximize the use of your garden while keeping plants healthy and insect & disease free. Companion planting chart of compatible plants & their effects.
- How To Make Your Own Natural Bug Sprays and Insect Repellents - recipes included.
- Raised garden beds save time, space and money. They are easier to work with, have less weeds, softer soil, and provide a larger harvest. Learn more on this page.